Vegan Brownie Recipe – A Back Story
My husband isn’t really a cake guy. He definitely prefers fresh baked cookies and brownies. So for his birthday this past July, we knew we’d be making brownies. The only problem is since this is 2020 … I couldn’t find the box mix we usually adapt (because if you’ve followed me long you know our oldest has severe food allergies). Naturally, because I’m… well me, I had to make them from scratch. As it turns out, that much easier than expected AND the ingredients turned out to be all items I always keep on hand already! While the Sunbutter is there as a binder you do not taste it in the final product, though this family wouldn’t mind We love Sunbutter. So let’s learn about this vegan brownie recipe.
A Note About My Recipe Style
Now, I LOVE adapting recipes to fit our family’s needs and even coming up with recipes on my own because a lot of times we can’t find boxed food that is safe and let’s just be honest, I hate that I can’t pronounce the ingredients in a lot of those things. BUT, I am *terrible* at taking process pictures. Usually because I have 1 or 2 kids up my butt, trying to pour ingredients and stir, and I’m almost always in a hurry. I love comments and love answering questions. Without further ado, here is my vegan brownie recipe.
Vegan Chocolate Skillet Brownies
- Cast Iron Skillet
- 2 Medium Mixing Bowls
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar I actually only used 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp REDMOND Real Salt
- 1/2 cup Sunbutter natural, creamy
- 2/3 cup plain or vanilla vegan yogurt soy, coconut, almond, etc
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 oz Enjoy Life semi-sweet dairy free chocolate chunks or morsels 5 oz to melt and 3 oz to mix in at the end. I omitted the extra 3 oz
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat your oven to 350F and oil a 10-inch, well-seasoned cast iron skillet.
- Mix together the flour, coconut sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and sea salt in a mixing bowl.
- Separately, whisk together the sunbutter, yogurt, and vanilla.
- Melt 5 ounces of the non-dairy chocolate chunks or morsels with the coconut oil in the microwave or over a double boiler. (For microwave place in a glass bowl and do 20-30 second bursts stirring in between)
- Add a few spoons of the sunbutter/yogurt/vanilla mix to the melted chocolate to temper it. Stir. Add a few more. Stir. Then add the rest and combine well. 6) Combine wet and dry ingredients. The batter will be very thick.
- (Optional) Fold in the remaining 3 ounces chocolate chunks or morsels.
- Spread the batter into your skillet. Bake for 22 minutes, or until the top is set and the edges firm.
- Remove the skillet brownie from the oven and allow it to cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.
My oldest can’t have eggs, and baked treats are a REAL treat for her. Any time I make something like this she gets super excited (and it kind of makes my heart a little sad if I’m honest). You’d never know tasting it that this recipe is a VEGAN brownie recipe. What?!
These have way less sugar, no dairy, and no eggs. Are they really a treat? Eat 2.
Be sure to leave a comment or shoot me an email if you have questions or try this vegan brownie recipe! I’d love to hear about it!
Ashley Burk says
Really appreciate when I see a vegan version of a classic favorite. Love this!!
We do a lot of vegan baking. Sometimes is a challenge but I actually have come to like that I don’t rely on eggs